Smokey Roasted Carrots Over Tahini
There are few vegetables I like as much as roasted carrots, and these roasted carrots are easily my go-to of the moment. They're quick and casual enough for a weeknight, but easily hold their own at a dinner party. The natural sweetness of the carrots and the smokiness of the paprika paired with the creamy and lemony tahini packs a punch that is both fresh and warm. The recipe serves two but easily doubles, triples, quadruples....the limit does not exist.
Serves 2 as a side.
1 bunches carrots, stems on (I like tricolor, if you can find them)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup good quality tahini paste
1/4 cup lukewarm water
juice of one lemon
salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Peel and trim the carrots, leaving about 1/4 inch of the carrot top on. (You can reserve the carrot tops for garnish or use in place of parsley in another recipe.)
3. In a small mixing bowl combine olive oil, cumin, paprika, coriander, red pepper flakes and garlic powder. Pour this mixture over the carrots and allow the carrots to marinate for at least one hour, up to overnight.
4. Place carrots on a baking sheet making sure not to overcrowd the sheet. Each carrot should lay directly on the baking sheet. Pour any remaining marinade over the carrots and place in the oven and roast until very soft, 30-35 minutes. Check the carrots after 15 minutes and flip to ensure even cooking.
5. While the carrots cook make your tahini. Combine the tahini paste, lemon and water in a small bowl and mix until fully combined.
6. To plate, pour the tahini on to your serving dish and use a spoon or spatula to distribute it evenly over the dish. Place the carrots over the tahini and garnish with maldon salt and carrot top.