• Michal Cohen

Sugarless, Oilless Chocolate Chip Biscotti

In college I went through a phase where I'd try to make every baked good under the sun as low calorie as possible. As I've gotten older I've largely followed the 80/20 rule (eat healthy 80% of the time, forgive yourself the other 20%,) and so I've mostly fallen out of "low calorie" desserts in favor of the real deal. I come back to these biscotti because to me biscotti aren't meant to be particularly sweet anyway. They're also meant to be hard, so there isn't any real need for any oil or butter.

As I was making these for this post, I caught a rotting banana out of the corner of my eye and thought, why not do away with the cane sugar in this completely? With the addition of some orange juice and zest and 1 teaspoon of Stevia, it worked.

If you're averse to artificial sweeteners you could add another banana, or sub in your favorite sweetener (honey, sugar, maple syrup - I suspect all would work well here.) I also recommend tasting the batter as you go to make sure its sweet enough for you.

Lastly, I went with chocolate chips here but you could easily use whatever topping you like. I've used blueberries, almonds, white chocolate chips - you name it!


2 large eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon cardamom

1 overripe banana

zest and juice of 1/2 an orange

2 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup all purpose flour + more for working

1 teaspoon stevia

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit

2. In a small bowl mash your banana very fine until there are no clumps left. Add in the egg, vanilla, cinnamon and cardamom, orange juice and zest and use a whisk to combine.

3. In a larger bowl sift your flour and add in all the remaining ingredients besides the chocolate chips.

4. Stir your wet mixture in to the dry mixture and use your hands to mix them until a dough forms. Work the dough until fully combined. If the dough is sticky, slowly add in more flour and continue to combine until the dough is moist but firm. You should be able to play with it without it sticking to your hands.

5. Add in your chocolate chips and use your hands to combine.

6. Divide the dough in to two even balls. Flour your work surface, your hands, and a rolling pin and roll each ball of dough out until it is about a foot long. Transfer to a greased baking sheet.

7. Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake on the middle rack for 40-50 minutes. The cooking time will depend on your oven and the thickness of your logs, but the logs should feel hard to the touch.

8. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the logs to cool for 5 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.

9. Once the logs have cooled, use a serrated knife to cut in to 1" thick cookies. Transfer the cookie sheet back to the oven and cook for another 20-30 minutes, until the cookies have fully hardened.

#Recipes #Desserts

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon

Instagram Feed: