Spring Vegetable Salad
There are few things that excite me more than getting to the supermarket and seeing that the new Spring vegetables have arrived. Asparagus, ramps, fiddlehead ferns; you name it, I'm buying it. One of my favorite things about eating seasonally is that I get a chance to miss certain vegetables, and when I am finally "reintroduced" to these vegetables, I have a fresh take on them and that's when some of the best ideas are born. I love this salad because it's both light and hearty, fresh and warm, and most importantly makes great use of some of my favorite Spring vegetables.
Serves 2 as a main or 4-6 as a side
one 5 oz. box of arugula
4 cherry belle radishes
3 golden beets
1/2 bunch asparagus
1 ripe avocado
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt + more to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Peel and dice the beets and transfer to a baking dish. Season with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and salt, to taste. Transfer to the oven and cook until soft, about 30 minutes.
3. Clean the asparagus and remove the tough bottoms. Cut the rest of the stalk into 1" pieces and transfer to a baking dish. Season with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and salt, to taste. Transfer to the oven and cook until softened, about 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, add the arugula to salad bowl or serving platter.
5. Use a mandolin or sharp knife to thinly slice the radishes. Add to the arugula.
6. Make the salad dressing by combining the lemon juice, sugar, oregano, garlic powder and salt in a small bowl. Mix well and slowly drizzle in the olive oil, mixing the entire time, to create an emulsion. Continue to mix until the oil and lemon juice do not separate. (Alternatively, you can add all the ingredients to a jar and shake well until the oil and lemon juice have combined and do not separate.)
7. When the vegetables are ready remove them from the oven and allow them to cool before adding to the arugula.
8. Lastly, slice the avocado and add to the bowl.
9. Pour over dressing as desired.